Thursday, April 26, 2007

Musical Premiere

On Sunday, April 22, members of the Indiana Wind Symphony premiered my clarinet sextet "Channel Surfing at Six" at John Knox Presbyterian Church.

The sanctuary was hot that night. I don't know why. It was gorgeous outside, and the rest of the church was comfortable, but it was probably over 80 degrees in the sanctuary.

The public performance didn't go quite as well as the final rehearsal had, but it had its moments. If nothing else, this was a learning experience. What did I learn? Don't write in sharps. Also, it's another thing I've accomplished.

So what's next for Andyman, Composer? When the IWS breaks for summer, I'm going to try to find the time to work on a full-band piece that I've been tossing around in my head for a while. It's a piece that's based on Dr. Seuss's The Lorax, and that's probably what I'll call it. I want to make it so that a band has the option of actually inclusing a reading of the whole book during the piece...but I don't remember exactly how long the book is. I don't have a copy of it right now, but I plan to get one soon.

But for now, I will just bask in the afterglow of my musical accomplishment. At least I would if my gastric system wouldn't keep kicking me in the colon.

No comments: