Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Nominees for Worst Company Name

I'm sure there are plenty of horrible company names out there that I don't even know about, but I came across a new one today: Nomensa. It's a technology firm out of the UK that is apparently proud of the fact that none of its employees belongs to MENSA. I can see the ads now: "Nomensa: No geniuses here!" "Nomensa: Idiots is us!" "Nomensa: Keeping your VCRs flashing 12:00 since 1992!"

I did a quick search for "allmensa" to see what kind of competition they had, but I couldn't find anything.

But this still doesn't beat the company called Powergen Italia, whose original Web domain, powergenitalia.com, was eventually replaced. Some have reported that powergenitalia.com is a hoax, that the company doesn't really exist, but apparently it's a real battery-maker in Italy, and has nothing to do with the Powergen in the UK. You can find old powergenitalia.com pages in old Internet archives, if you know how to access them.

I don't...

(On the other hand, I'm not so sure about Pen Island -- penisland.org and penisland.net.)

What other company names really suck?

(On the other end, the best business name I've ever seen was a hair salon in St. Louis called "Curl Up & Dye.")

No comments: