Sunday, April 05, 2009

Nighttime Visit from an Old Friend

I dreamt about Popcorn Friday night. Not the buttery movie munchies popcorn; my old dog Popcorn. We got him when I was maybe two years old, and sometime in my mid-teens, after arthritis made his back legs wobbly and permanently stained hair made him more of a light brown than white, he went off by himself somewhere to die. Hopefully I'll find a picture of him I can post here.

At any rate, he showed up in a dream on Friday night. I got to run with him, in that dream-like, untiring way. I got to roll around on the floor with him and rub his belly.

He's been gone for around 20 years, and I don't know what made me think of him this weekend, but it sure was nice to get to see him again, to rub his belly as his tongue lolled out. Even though it was just a dream, it has stuck with me. Even thinking about it now makes me smile.

Funny what dreams can do.

No comments: