Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Good News, Bad News, and Ugly Photos

The Evolution of a Fractured Fibula

The bad news is that I cracked the base of my fibula — that bump that sticks out on the outside of your ankle. The ER folks put a hard splint thingy on it. Of course, my toes stuck out and just sat there being cold. Here's what it looked like, with Homer giving me a little warmth.


That's the nice view. Underneath that elastic, flesh-toned exterior lies an increasingly purple and swollen hoofer:



You can see the swelling there in my right foot, compared to my left.

The good news (I guess) came on Monday, when I saw the orthopaedist. They fitted me for an expensive, ill-fitting, open-toed ski boot:



I thought the splint was uncomfortable. My foot is forced into a 90-degree angle, which my swollenness does not appreciate, and I can't move anything. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, though. It isn't a big plaster thing, and I can take it off to (very carefully) bathe.

I was kind of hoping for a little shake-up in my life, for something to change. This isn't really what I had in mind.

No comments: